Marathon Weekend 2022

NewYKRunner

Mouseketeer
anyone got a plan for a overweight guy who is struggling to run right now - I have run a 4hr marathon, but now I'm barely able to do 5.5 hours (if lucky). Last run I had for time was a 5 miler in 48minutes - and that used to be my PR for a 6.2 miler. Dang!
1. Stop eating carbs.
2. Run, then walk, then run.
My friend that I will be running Dopey 2022 with was overweight and did nothing physical before training for Dopey 2020 with my wife. He worked on eating healthy first to lose weight then started training to run. He crossed the finish line significantly faster than my wife who has ran on and off for a few years now, but hadn't done a full marathon before.

BuckeyeBama

You are stronger than you think.
anyone got a plan for a overweight guy who is struggling to run right now - I have run a 4hr marathon, but now I'm barely able to do 5.5 hours (if lucky). Last run I had for time was a 5 miler in 48minutes - and that used to be my PR for a 6.2 miler. Dang!
Just be the best runner that the current you can be - don't compete with the previous you. Be happy with the progress that you see as you train. Don't give a second thought to previous times or paces.

I have been running for decades. I learned a long time ago to work hard and be happy with my effort. It is about the effort, not the results. With effort and time, you will see results that please you again.

Dig

Earning My Ears
I agree with BuckeyeBama. Best to reset expectations and enjoy the process. You probably have more experience than I do, but I've learned the hard way that overtraining to meet prior goals, along with carrying a little extra weight, mixed with getting older (I'm almost 50) is a recipe for injury. Whatever the plan, I would recommend plenty of non-running endurance training (I use a stationary bike, my wife swims,) regular HIIT workouts - lots of squats & lunges - plus flexibility work. Trail running is also a great option, depending on where you live.

Regarding diet, I find it much easier to eat healthy when I'm running or exercising regularly. Just starting to feel more fit, however it happens, is like starting a chain reaction.

• Naomeri

DIS Veteran
    You are still doing better than this overweight lady. I just did a 5K on Saturday morning in more time than your 5 miler. I can’t even contemplate how long it would take me to do a marathon—probably several days, assuming I didn’t die first 😆😆

• Z-Knight

DIS Veteran
    You are still doing better than this overweight lady. I just did a 5K on Saturday morning in more time than your 5 miler. I can’t even contemplate how long it would take me to do a marathon—probably several days, assuming I didn’t die first 😆😆
    But you still did it - that's still an awesome accomplishment. How many people you know (besides us on this forum) did what you did this Saturday. Nice job!

btw, thank you for all of the encouragement from all - it's been slow going for a long time and I don't have Covid health as an excuse, but definitely can say some of it was Covid doldrums that caused it. I can't wait to get my Dopey charity bib so I can sign up and officially post I'm also in.

cburnett11

DIS Veteran
    So, how did yesterday go for everyone? Did anyone not get the race(s) they wanted?
    Yesterday was great. It started off rough. I've been working from home and sorta have a big project going on that was swirling heavily yesterday morning. My wife was asking me questions about how many logins we'd try, what our process would be, etc. And I had to focus on work instead of sharing in the race signup festivities/anxiety. Thankfully, our adult DD came over to also register. It turns out that the last login was my wife's phone and that was the first to get in. Since our DD has quicker phone fingers and better eyes, she flew through all that and I never even stopped working. Got us all registered within minutes (Dopey for me and then Full for both of them) and then was able to help her friend registered for the half. Wife and I will be going down for a full week and looks like DD, her husband, and her friend will go down for at least a long weekend. Excited and hope everything happens.

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES