DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I'll just tell her they started a new system so we're supposed to register for it now since it came out. Thank you!

That or can anyone think of a plausible reason to need DAS for Aulani lol? (She's almost 9, she won't be that be gullible)
I mean you could always explain it as DAS being available for Aulani just so employees know that the guest may need extra assistance in certain situations.

For example, when I check in for a cruise, I can inform them I have disabilities and may need extra assistance with boarding etc. So it’s not a totally out of the box idea to be explaining your needs ahead of time for a resort stay. Essentially just explain it as a way of letting them know she may need assistance?

I’d just tell the cast member before she joins the video call one of two things: that it’s a surprise trip (to minimize mention of anything specific to DL) OR that you won’t be requiring pre-selects. Since the mention of pre-selects specific to DL would give it away that the DAS isn’t for Aulani.

The bolded line is going to be extremely important for my trip and I know it's something that is going to come down to the CM and my unique situation. Of all the years I had to go over 6 people with 7 this year (one off year, next year will be 5, and next will be 4 on going, previously always did 6 or less) they crack down.

Getting approved for DAS will be a huge hurdle, and party size will be even harder to deal with.

Thank you for your update that you did get an approval for 7 people under the old rules.
We don't know how they will determine exceptions to the total number allowed to be linked to DAS.
It's pretty well accepted that one of the biggest reasons for limiting the number is people who were using DAS for 'business reasons' - including unauthorized tour guides who were 'renting out' their DAS group 'slots' to make money and influencers who brought in groups of supporters.

Saw this post today.

I am going to wait until someone reports an experience from today on the board. But is it really only autism now and no other developmental abilities even? Heck, I thought the new rules weren't coming into play until May 20th. I am hoping to take this post with doubt, but I suppose new reports will give us insight.

ETA: link removed by moderator, not considered to be accurate info
In addition to lanejudy's
Post, Disney's site still explicitly states developmental disabilities - autism is used as a "like" statement, but not indicated to be the *only* qualifier.

I'm just as anxious as everyone is for concrete information, but it really helps no one to speculate. We're a week out from changes going into effect at WDW. Let's see what happens.

IMG_1432.jpeg

Not sure if this article is correct, but it states Inspire Health Alliance workers will do the interviews:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...lities-with-lifetime-bans-from-parks/3304642/
The article makes it sound like the lifetime ban for guests who lie about disabilities is something new. It WAS prominently displayed on the WDW and DL disabilities webpages in large type for a few days after the announcement was made on April 9 that DAS was changing. After a few days, it was removed from the front page.
That language is not new. It was and still is on the DAS FAQs on the Disney websites and also in the terms and conditions that guests need to accept before beginning the video chat for DAS.
Those Terms and Conditions were always part of the process for DAS application in person from when DAS began in 2013. It was also on the GAC (Guest Assistance Card), the program before DAS.
"If it is determined that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased Annual Passes , Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."

Disney's original announcement said they were partnering with Inspire Health. This article and several others made the leap from partnering for the accessibility program to doing the registration.
Not exactly. Disney has partnered with Inspire Health to help train the new team who will be handling DAS registrations. It will be Disney CMs actually on the chats.
Agree with lanejudy. I've seen emails that multiple people have received from Disney indicating that a new team, called Accessibility Services has been set up to handle DAS Registration and other accessibility program components. Disney has said Disney CMs will be doing the chats, with training and consultation with Inspire Health
It says if "“if it is determined that any of the statements a guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true" How would Disney know because they don't want any guest's medical information.
NOTE PLEASE I am not encouraging anyone to cheat.
Just wondering how, unless someone is dumb enough to tell a CM, "Hey, I really don't have ______ condition. I faked it in order to get DAS.".
People may not be dumb enough to directly tell the CM on the chat, but people have been posting videos and blogs basically saying "this is what I did to register for DAS WITHOUT being disabled...you can too". This also includes people who are disabled, but exaggerate their needs.
It's also generally felt Disney is targeting unofficial 'tour guides' and influencers who have been using DAS for business purposes.

Currently at WDW this week and can say they are attempting to implement the newer DAS policies now.
The "new" DAS policy is pretty much returning to original with some alternative accommodations for those who do not qualify for DAS. When DAS rolled out it was intended to be a smaller subset of the guest population, but use has expanded for various reasons - one of which was a lack of other ways to accommodate some needs. Was she offered other accommodations, besides the wheelchair?

The CM told her they could provide her with a wheelchair to accommodate mobility issurs. Yet her neuroligal disease goes far beyond needing a place to sit in line.
I'm sorry your daughter had a difficult time at Guest Relations. Was she on her own, trying to register by herself? Did she adequately explain her needs related to waiting in a standby queue and why a mobility device alone would not accommodate? It sounds as though she may have tried to explain she can't stand in the regular queue, as opposed to why she can't wait in the standby -- that may sound like the same thing but there is a difference. In the future she will have to find the everyday words to explain it, not her diagnosis or medical jargon of symptoms.

I inquired as to which disabilities would qualify in the future. But the supervisor could not give a definitive list. Basically said autism like disabilities. Too which I asked if my son who has another developmental disability would qualify. She said she wasn't sure and we would have to contact the professionals....
My understanding is the current Guest Relations staff is not who will be trained for handling DAS going forward (after May 20th), so it's not surprising that even a supervisor cannot answer your questions about who/what will qualify in the future. Again, DAS is not diagnosis-based but rather need-based, so there really should not be a definitive list of qualifying diagnoses without explaining the needs.

I hope your family is able to put yesterday's poor experience behind you and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

My understanding is the current Guest Relations staff is not who will be trained for handling DAS going forward (after May 20th)
Where is this info coming from?? That the new disability team is gonna be all new CMs?

Maybe I missed it but I have not seen anywhere say that, or that Guest Relations CMs won't be allowed to transfer to the new team.

Where is this info coming from?? That the new disability team is gonna be all new CMs?

Maybe I missed it but I have not seen anywhere say that, or that Guest Relations CMs won't be allowed to transfer to the new team.
I think what lanejudy was trying to say is that, current CM's who handle DAS may or may not be part of the new team handling DAS after May 20th. They will be introducing a new team of CM's trained to handle the new system, and we won't know how much employee turnover will be part of it, but only that Inspire Health will be at the disposal of the CMs for reference/consultation.

Above is correct to my understanding. The in-park Guest Relations staff will NOT be able to help with DAS issues such as registration or any changes (# of people, which people), other than offering an iPad to connect with the chat. Such things will all need to be done online through the chat. I believe that is intentional and the folks trained for the new Accessibility Team will not necessarily be working in the parks. Basic questions such as how does DAS work, where is my tile, how do I get a Return Time, please cancel this one so I can get another, etc., will still be answered by in-park Guest Relations staff.

That's not to say that current Guest Relations staff are unable to be part of the new Accessibility Team. Just that I would not expect most of them to be cross-trained.

We are at Disney currently as well. Yesterday MK. Today AK. Can confirm no 10 minute wait. No LL backups either although we did skip Haunted Mansion because it was really backed up went we got there so I can’t accurately judge. We didn’t see many DAS at MK but saw many, many at AK. Not sure why the difference.

Only used one of our Advanced Selections and it was for Lion King 😂😂
The LL line for HM was pretty long, and DS was unsure. We convinced him to give it a try, and it did end up moving quickly, but it was intimidating having the line almost to the main walkway.

Disney has not said that and no one on this thread has said that either.
Disney has said that DAS registration/administration and accessibility will be moved out of the Guest Relations Department. They have said DAS will be part of a new Accessibility Services Team, which will be adding/have added new staff.

Those people will be trained by Inspire Health, who will also be available for consultation. Inspire will also be doing training for front line attractions staff.
Some/Much of the staff in the new department will probably be transfers from the CMs currently doing the DAS video chats. That may also include transfers from other departments, including Guest Relations.

Disney has said after the roll out, registration at the parks will no longer be with an in-person CM. It will be by video chat the same as remote/advance registration

Above is correct to my understanding. The in-park Guest Relations staff will NOT be able to help with DAS issues such as registration or any changes (# of people, which people), other than offering an iPad to connect with the chat. Such things will all need to be done online through the chat. I believe that is intentional and the folks trained for the new Accessibility Team will not necessarily be working in the parks. Basic questions such as how does DAS work, where is my tile, how do I get a Return Time, please cancel this one so I can get another, etc., will still be answered by in-park Guest Relations staff.

That's not to say that current Guest Relations staff are unable to be part of the new Accessibility Team. Just that I would not expect most of them to be cross-trained.
Since DD just finished her DCP, I have been on some social media for parents of DCP. There was a mom who talked about her DD who was DCP and then a CM in Attractions transferring and being trained for the opening of the new Accessibility Team. So, yes, while someone could have transferred from a Guest Relations position, this is an entirely new department of CM's (presumably trained by Inspire Health, but Disney CM's).

I think what lanejudy was trying to say is that, current CM's who handle DAS may or may not be part of the new team handling DAS after May 20th. They will be introducing a new team of CM's trained to handle the new system, and we won't know how much employee turnover will be part of it, but only that Inspire Health will be at the disposal of the CMs for reference/consultation.
That's not what she said thought. Her recent posts dismiss what current Guest Relations CMs have said to guests on the basis of them not being part of the new team, branding what they say as misinformation. And that most likely wouldn't be trained on the new rules. I find that a bit dismissive because as you said, we don't know how much employee turnover will be and as far as we know, everything the CMs have told guests about "understanding what a line is" (paraphrasing) could be true. Specially since some CMs are simply saying they don't know and it will be dif team and some seem to have more info.

Saying current Guest Relations staff is not being trained for the new system is a bit of misinformation imo (ironically xD ). Unless we know 100% that no members of current GR will be part of the new disabilities team.

Currently at WDW this week and can say they are attempting to implement the newer DAS policies now. I have two children with disabilities. My 9 year old is visibly disabled with a developmental disabilities. My 17 year old daughter has a neurological disability and looks "normal". When we visited MK guest relations on May 11th they granted the request for my son without any issue. However, the first cast member told my daughter you are not disabled and you don't qualify. Proceeded to ask her what her disability was. I was outside town hall when she came out of the building in tears. My wife was still getting our sons DAS. I returned and ask to see a supervisor. Regardless of the changes they should never treat a minor this way. The CM told her they could provide her with a wheelchair to accommodate mobility issurs. Yet her neuroligal disease goes far beyond needing a place to sit in line. The CM asked why she needed the das if her brother had one. Hello a 9 year old with severe developmental disorders and 17 year old don't ride the same things. At that point i asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor parroted the new policy. To which I informed them didn't go into effect on the 11th. I inquired as to which disabilities would qualify in the future. But the supervisor could not give a definitive list. Basically said autism like disabilities. Too which I asked if my son who has another developmental disability would qualify. She said she wasn't sure and we would have to contact the professionals.... After arguing for 20 minutes regarding my daughter the supervisor said they'd allow her to have one this time. Yet, the damage was done. My daughter's week has been ruined by this treatment.

Overall a nightmare. We are AP and DVC members. My daughter was humiliated by these CMs. And she no longer wants to visit Disney. The magic is dead for our family. And without a DAS she really can't go to Disney. So after 15+ years of being AP holders we will not be renewing our passes.

I understand the need to prevent abuse from individuals without a disability. Yet Disney has gone overboard. And regardless of the new policies, CMs should never tell anyone that is disabled that they aren't. I'll keep my thoughts to myself and how the CMs in general no longer understand the Disney Magic.

So if anyone tries to get a DAS in person this week be prepared to be treated poorly.
I'm really sorry this happened to you and your daughter. I do hope you plan to write to disney to let them know.

Are you sure on this? My read is that the DAS signup has to be via chat/video.

Onsite Support for DAS otherwise hasn't been clearly delineated -- eg party members change, return time assist, in DLR - return times across the parks; LL return too long after waiting time already.

I would very surprised if they completely remove that from onsite CMs ability to assist.

Are you sure on this? My read is that the DAS signup has to be via chat/video.

Onsite Support for DAS otherwise hasn't been clearly delineated -- eg party members change, return time assist, in DLR - return times across the parks; LL return too long after waiting time already.

I would very surprised if they completely remove that from onsite CMs ability to assist.
Did you read the whole post?

Basic questions such as how does DAS work, where is my tile, how do I get a Return Time, please cancel this one so I can get another, etc., will still be answered by in-park Guest Relations staff.

It's my understanding that qualification and party members will not be done by in-park CMs, but most of the other basics can.

We don't know how they will determine exceptions to the total number allowed to be linked to DAS.
It's pretty well accepted that one of the biggest reasons for limiting the number is people who were using DAS for 'business reasons' - including unauthorized tour guides who were 'renting out' their DAS group 'slots' to make money and influencers who brought in groups of supporters.
Agreed. If the third party tour guides had stuck to simply helping people with planning their itineraries and with the logistics of things like booking Genie times and ADRs, I doubt Disney would have had much of a problem with them, and may have even seen them as quite helpful. What put an end to this business was very probably the rampant DAS abuse that some of them started to engage in.

Did you read the whole post?

It's my understanding that qualification and party members will not be done by in-park CMs, but most of the other basics can.
That is my understanding too.
Multiple guests have reported they have been told that qualifications and adding members will only be available by Accessibility Services staff - not in park CMs.
My own personal opinion is that changing members in park was one of the big ways that ‘DAS tour guides’ and influencers were using to add members and abuse DAS

That is my understanding too.
Multiple guests have reported they have been told that qualifications and adding members will only be available by Accessibility Services staff - not in park CMs.
My own personal opinion is that changing members in park was one of the big ways that ‘DAS tour guides’ and influencers were using to add members and abuse DAS
Question- do you think this is where people will have to go for things like tagging a stroller as a wheelchair as well?

Question- do you think this is where people will have to go for things like tagging a stroller as a wheelchair as well?
I expect stroller-as-wheelchair will continue to be managed by Guest Relations staff in their usual locations in the parks. The new "Accessibility Services" team will not be physically located within any park; DAS registration will be all done via video chat, even if you do it from within a park.

Just reporting my personal experience. I just renewed my DAS for a trip in June. Clicked to request video at 2:45, process was done and I'm typing this now at 2:54 :D

I won't go into details but I don't have any developmental disorders and the conversation with the CM went exactly like it has gone every other time I've registered. Very simple, she asked my concern with waiting in lines, I answered, she took my picture, and now back to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter